Now that things are heating up outside, it’s time to break out the sunscreen!
But not so fast…have you seen some of the warnings and fact sheets about conventional sunscreen?
Ugh. It’s not fun news that many of the most common brands contain chemicals that are endocrine disruptors, common allergens, and can be detrimental to the environment.
What’s more confusing is that despite our increased use of sunscreens, skin cancer is on the rise and many Americans have Vitamin D levels that are way too low (vitamin D is critical for healthy bones and a strong immune system).
We certainly still need to protect ourselves from the sun, but maybe we need to rethink the way that we’re finding our protection.
So how do we do this while still staying safe from excessive and dangerous exposure to UVA and UVB sun rays?
Here are some of the top tips:
- Wear big hats, shirts, and pants to protect your skin from the sun.
- Go outside in the early morning or late afternoon rather than at mid-day when the sun is most intense.
- Hang out in shaded areas, or bring shade in the form of umbrellas.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from harmful UV radiation.
- Research sunscreen options and find the best, safest choice for your family when you must be out in direct sunlight!
Posted in Herbal Basics, Simplicity
- Tagged DIY, eco-friendly, green, handmade, homemade, natural, non-toxic, sun stick, sunscreen, zinc oxide
Today I have a guest post from Nita Ewald of Nurture with Nita. We are both members of a local women’s group of holistic health providers and educators. I’m pleased to share with you this piece about the importance of avoiding toxins to improve your overall health and in particular, your fertility.
Steer Clear of Toxins to Improve Health and Fertility
Couples thinking about starting a family in 2015 should begin by taking a closer look at the products they use. They might want to switch deodorant and throw out the waffle iron. Continue reading
Posted in Simplicity, Steps Back to Nature
- Tagged bath, beauty, care, cleaning, fertility, filter, glass containers, Health, homemade, natural cleaning products, non-toxic, nurture, Nurture with Nita, Nutrition, organic, products, purify, toxic, toxic-free, wellness
Recently, we realized the power of this bug spray as we sat on a lawn and watched bugs approach our arms, hover, and turn away leaving our skin untouched. Amazing!
Not only is it effective, but it is made with just a few high quality ingredients that are non-toxic and safe for our families! Continue reading
Posted in Herbal Basics
- Tagged Achillea millefolium, bug spray, catnip, children, DIY, essential oils, family, Herb, Herbal, herbalism, herbalist, homemade, Insect repellent, natural, Nepeta cataria, non-toxic, Plant, safe, Spray bottle, Summer, Susun Weed, yarrow