Local cornmeal. Local flour. What should be local buttermilk (but instead is an attempt to use up a gifted half-bottle). What do you get?
Buttermilk corn muffins!
I know this isn’t the best side dish on the planet if you’re trying to avoid gluten, but I like to follow the rule of everything in moderation (and they freeze well, too, so don’t be tempted to eat all 12 at once)! Other than that, I adapted this recipe, “Healthy & Delicious: Buttermilk Corn Muffins“, to use whole wheat flour instead, and it turns out to be a delicious muffin. Chomp away!
While preheating your oven to 425* and spraying your muffin tin, you’ll just need to gather these ingredients (makes 12 muffins):
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour (original recipe does call for all-purpose, though)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
Next you’ll need to:
- Grab a bowl and whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Make an indentation in the middle.
- Use a smaller bowl to whisk together buttermilk, oil, and eggs. Pour into dry ingredients. Mix everything until just moist
- Evenly divide batter among muffin cups. Bake 12 minutes. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Yet again, hoooooray for incorporating local foods, and for yummy winter treats!
Whole grain and whole wheat? They really don’t sound that unhealthy! I could eat at least three in one sitting, but I try to contain myself when others are around and just start with one… Self-restraint is so hard with homemade baked goods!
You’re right! It’s not so bad! I guess my concern is coming from the amount of people that are concerned with any type of grains these days. I am thankful I have not developed any intolerance to them!
Very true! My mom is trying a gluten-free diet (by choice, not by allergy!), so I’m starting to delve into the world of gluten-free baking. But whole-wheat flour is still healthy, despite all of the current stigmas! (Plus the recipe looks fairly low in fat and sugar, which are more added bonuses!)
Looks delicious! I bet they are perfect with a bowl of soup or beans like in your photo! The perfect side for winter dishes. Awesome that you used local ingredients, too!
Pingback: Oatmeal Muffins Recipe | Nosh My Way