Today we have a guest post by the talented and inspirational Dawn Gettig. She will share her #1 tip for creating harmony and balance in your home and life.
I have been assisting clients with Medicine Wheel, Yoga and creating Sacred Space for years now, and I want to share with you my favorite tip on how to create harmony and balance in one’s environment and life. This tip is the reason Feng Shui (creating Sacred Space) and Medicine Wheel were created as an art, science and philosophy thousands of years ago. Therefore, my favorite tip is to bring a lot of nature into your home and life. Nature is the purest model for creating harmony and balance. Nature inspires great music, design, art, food and so much more.
Here are a few quick and easy ways to bring nature into your spaces and senses:
The scent of nature
- Regularly use lavender and other fragrant herbs or essential oils in your home for a naturally fragrant smelling home.
- Weekly create simple flower arrangements and place them in key areas of your home to uplift the energy.
- Be sure to have houseplants in your rooms year round to keep the air fresh and reduce indoor toxins.
- Open your windows and bring in fresh air. People often don’t open their windows — in the winter it is too cold, in the summer too hot! I have neighbors who never ever open their windows, creating very stagnant energy in the home.
The sounds of nature
- Listen to a CD of soothing nature sounds and absorb the lovely music made by animals, birds and the ocean. Remember sound has power and can create an atmosphere of sanctuary!
- Again, open the windows and you will hear so many wonderful sounds. At my home at night we often hear an owl in the backyard and it brings us much joy and connection to nature.
The colors of nature
- When choosing colors in your home, be sure to choose the natural colors of nature. Scientific studies show color can evoke feelings. For example; lovely natural blue tones will bring more flow and peace, yellows and orange more joy and sociability, and add green for harmony and healing.
The feel and texture of nature
- Purchase bamboo or cotton (preferably organic) sheets and you will either consciously or subconsciously feel greater relaxation when sleeping on natural fabric.
- Use natural rugs and flooring materials instead of synthetic items. Synthetics release toxins in your living areas which can cause health issues in children and adults (and pets).
The taste of nature
- Bring the natural flavors of nature into your spaces and you will enjoy greater health. Unnatural flavorings and other processed ingredients are in many food products on the market today and these can create health issues.
The unseen quality of nature
- In your home and body there is vital life force energy (also called Chi) that moves in and all around us. If you keep your home free of clutter and do most suggestions above then you will have good Chi flowing in your home, in turn you will breathe freer and enjoy greater health and peace of mind.
Bringing nature into your home and senses will make you feel better mentally, emotionally and physically.
Dawn Gettig lives in her nature-filled home in Kirtland, Ohio with her husband and two daughters. She is an advanced certified Medicine Wheel, Feng Shui and Space Clearing practitioner. She also teaches yoga and is a mixed media artist. Follow Dawn on Facebook , Pinterest or visit her website at dawngettig.com.