Hi! I’m Christine. I’m a permaculturist, urban homesteader, herbalist, and Earth-caretaker trying to live authentically and sustainably. I’m not all the way there yet, but I’m driven by my connection to the Earth and I try to keep that in mind with all that I do. I want to help others do that, too. I believe that our psychological and physiological health, as well as a decent future for the planet, depend on our ability to remember and re-establish a meaningful connection with the land.
My partner and I are planning to create an educational permaculture & holistic health center where people can come to learn about homesteading and permaculture skills, health, herbalism, and to just relax and have a good time by staying in a healing, beautiful environment. This new direction is quite a breakthrough — you can read about my decision to follow my dreams in this post: Fears, Risks, and Following Our Dreams.
I spend a lot of my time thinking about/doing: gardening, permaculture, herbalism, preserving food, crafty stuff, reducing my impact, earth-based spirituality, yoga, cycling, nourishing myself and others, fantasizing about a better future for all beings, and more.
My more traditional list of qualifications includes: M.S. in Biology from Case Western Reserve University (reached PhD Candidacy before my life shift); B.A. in Psychology from the College of Wooster; and a PDC from Midwest Permaculture. I’m currently working on a certificate in herbalism with Rosemary Gladstar, and I’ve taken numerous courses in herbalism through the Wise Woman University (Susun Weed’s project).
Now that I’m a mother (as of 10/30/13), I’m also interested in sharing my knowledge about natural pregnancy and childbirth. I had an awesome homebirth and will soon be certified as a Sacred Pregnancy instructor (see my SP bio page).
You can see more on my LinkedIn profile.
Read more about me in my interview on Backyard Farming Connection.
Let’s Exchange Energy…
I would love to share my skills and talents with you in exchange for monetary resources or bartering of other goods and services (including learning opportunities!). I am located in Cleveland, Ohio, but will discuss traveling. Here are some things I can offer:
- Wild Plant Walks – get a group together and learn to identify useful edible and medicinal plants close to your home
- Introduction to Homemade Medicines – learn the basics of home medicine making. We will cover making infusions, tinctures, salves, and oils in your own home!
- Permaculture design consultation/brainstorming for urban and suburban landscapes
- Introduction to permaculture lecture – covering the ethics, principles, and basic examples of permaculture systems
- Freelance articles about local plants as food/medicine, local foods, cooking, earth-based spirituality, the psychological importance of nature, permaculture, and other topics discussed in this blog
- Made-to-order herbal medicines
- I’m available to help with hands-on activities like helping to create/design kitchen gardens in your home or workplace, and installing permaculture designs
- Visit Light Footsteps on Etsy for homemade herbal products, tea blends, and handcrafted goodies.
- Pick my brain about natural pregnancy and birth and/or let me help you achieve the birth of your dreams!
Something else you’re interested in? Let me know!
I am also open to sponsorship on this site from like-minded small businesses, blogs, nonprofits, etc.
Contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org